What to wear for maternity pictures? In pregnancy, these are the top ten items of clothing to wear. The images of your soon-to-be motherhood can benefit from their expertise.
The following are the top ten pieces of maternity wear that you should have in your wardrobe. They’re wonderful for making your expecting mom look beautiful in pictures.
Wearing a loose-fitting dress, for instance, will allow for extra room and ventilation around the growing tummy.
Also, sitting or lying on a chiropractic table in your cutest getup for a professional photo shoot is a breeze.
Even if they don’t quite go over the belly just yet, you may want to stock up on padding and other accessories like caps, sunglasses, scarves, belts, and jewelry. In addition, make sure you’re sporting some sturdy yet comfy footwear.
Choosing the Wardrobe for Your Maternity Shoot:
In our last article, we said that the optimal time for a maternity photo shoot is around around the 30 week mark. You should start thinking about what to wear for your photo shoot after you have scheduled it. We want your shopping experience to be as stress-free as possible, whether you enjoy it or not. For this reason, we have compiled a list of the top five trends in maternity photography, comprised of our favorite maternity clothes and outfits.
Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to immortalize one of the most special times in your life by having professional maternity portraits taken. Consider how well the outfit you choose for chronicling this next chapter fits with your unique style, how well it showcases your bump and how well it conveys your true feelings, and how well it allows you to strike a variety of positions. If you can’t decide on a single look, feel free to bring two!
As you’ve probably already discovered, maternity dresses and other specialized clothing items can be quite pricey. Keeping that in mind, we believe that you should be able to choose from a wide range of options that not only suit your budget but also provide you with versatile pieces that you can wear throughout this and potentially future pregnancies.
The formula for Deciding Your Maternity Dress or Outfit:
Need a plan of action? Color + fashion + ease of movement = the ideal getup for a portrait session. Think about things like these as you try to interpret this formula:
- Which fashion best expresses who I am?
- What should I wear to highlight my growing belly?
- Is this cut flattering, or am I losing my identity in this garment?
- In what fashion should we hang these photos so that they complement our home?
- When are we shooting these pictures, exactly? Where exactly will they be held? What should I wear to be as comfortable as possible?
- At 30 weeks pregnant, what should I wear for maximum comfort?
Dressing for Your Maternity Shoot:
We looked into this so you could relax and enjoy the process of picking out an outfit for your maternity photos. So that you may identify the trends that work best for you and where to get the greatest pieces, we have researched, picked, and photographed the cutest trends to incorporate into your maternity photography wardrobe. We’ve provided clickable images and links so you can take a look at the things and buy them from the comfort of your own home (or borrow them from a friend who already owns them)
Will you be raising a baby boomer or a baby boomer? (Or perhaps you find another decade especially moving.) Do you long for the ’90s when you see people wearing overalls, large denim jackets, and sneakers? Choose one of these maternity dresses inspired by Mary-Kate and Ashley to pass on a little piece of your youth to the child developing inside of you.
- One-piece garments, such as rompers, jumpsuits, and overalls, are trending again, and they are particularly flattering during pregnancy. You should check out The Gap’s denim overalls.
- Since denim jackets never really went out of style, they are the ideal classic outfit for any maternity picture. Photos show them off beautifully, and if you want your pictures to have a more laid-back vibe, you may add a lovely and informal touch by wearing them. We’re huge fans of Carry Maternity, and especially this denim jacket, which is reminiscent of the ’90s.
- Denim is a must-have throughout pregnancy, and if you feel most gorgeous in a relaxed pair of jeans, we recommend donning them with a clean white top for the best photo results. Old Navy is a great place to purchase a pair of maternity jeans at a price you can afford.
- If you want to bring attention to your baby bump, why not try these colorful stripes? This modest, 1990s-inspired striped dress from Nordstrom looks great with a pair of flat sneakers.
Fans of the British royal family, we believe that your pregnancy photo shoot should make you feel as special as Kate Middleton or Meghan Markle did when they revealed their pregnancies for the first time. We compiled a number of these concepts, many of which were inspired by (and some of which were actually worn by!) royal women.
- The focus of these ensembles is the jackets. With a trench coat in a neutral blush tone, Meghan Markle channeled her inner Kardashian and nailed a glamorous yet modest maternity style. Have a look at Seraphine’s trench coat for expectant mothers.
- If you are a Kate Middleton lover, you will find this option particularly appealing because the Duchess of Cambridge wore it personally. This chic coat with pearl buttons is the perfect addition to your winter maternity wardrobe and will make your upcoming photo session look absolutely stunning. Seraphine sells fashionable cashmere coats.
- Both of these jackets would look great over a neutral-colored dress, and you can choose between wrap details and a form-fitting silhouette to highlight your growing baby belly.
- Neutral dress with waist tie
- Neutral t-shirt dress
Maternity Dresses to Twirl In
We are HUGE fans of airy, floaty clothes. The way they move in the wind is picture-perfect, whether they’re covered in flowers, glitter, or a simple white. The majority of maternity photo sessions feature this style. Especially at sunset, the contrast between a long, flowing garment and a light, airy background is breathtaking. They’ll draw attention to your growing belly while also making you feel comfortable and confident in your femininity.
We have compiled a comprehensive list to provide you an overview of available options across a variety of design aesthetics, color palettes, and price points.
- The extraordinary length of the skirt and the wavy long sleeves both scream “flounce and flutter.” This dress, in a stunning shade of blush with floral embroidery, will drape gracefully over your growing bump (especially in a breezy field of flowers at sunset). ASOS sells a blush-colored formal dress.
- The sage green of chiffon dresses is another color that works well with the fabric, and it adds a touch of sophistication with its beaded shimmer.
- A maxi dress with long sleeves is on offer at ASOS. Enjoy some tender whirling with your growing baby bump while channeling your inner ballerina in this pretty pink tulle skirt.
- H&M has a lovely pink tulle skirt. This floral alternative includes a ruffled V-neck that will come in handy when you have your baby due of the built-in nursing access it provides.
- Obtainable from Hatch Collection, this silk dress comes in at about knee length.
The Snuggle is Real-Outfits
Is this pregnancy proving to be difficult for you? Remember that you are not alone, and that we care about providing you with cute and comfy clothing options. When nothing else is doing the trick, these simple solutions might make you feel fantastic.
- If you like a more rustic, earthy style, try a linen wrap dress. It’s the best option for those days when you don’t feel like carrying anything but your growing baby belly. Wrap dress in linen, offered by Linenfox.
- We can organize some beautiful at-home shots in some of your favorite relax-wear, even a floral mama-to-be robe like this one from The Over Co., if your favorite days are snuggly days inside the house with messy buns.
- A black bodycon dress set on a white background is always striking. Photos taken in silhouette with this outfit will turn out beautifully. This alternative has the bonus of being both easy to put together and aesthetically pleasing. a black, figure-hugging dress from Old Navy.
- Well, there are actually two reasons why this is awesome. In the first place, how sweet is this jumpsuit made of a soft, flouncy oatmeal linen? It’s relaxed in fit and feel, making it simple to wear and move around in. On the other hand! Renting it for the day of the shoot is the most cost-effective option. The website Rent the Runway might have what you’re looking for.
These items have been carefully selected to help you add a lot of character to your maternity photo shoot. Any of these costumes would make a fashionable statement in your pregnancy photos because to their eye-catching patterns, vivid colors, and nostalgic references to your childhood. A fantastic approach to making the most of your pregnancy.
- Like a mother leopard and her youngster, you may have a good time while still looking fabulous in this long, striking leopard print dress. It’s the only other eye-catching element of the photo you’ll need except your baby bump. Take a look at this ASOS leopard print midi dress.
- The rabbit with “velvet”een fur: It was only fitting that we borrow a moniker from this children’s literature classic for the velvet fad that has recently appeared on maternity racks. These velvet wrap dresses in rich jewel tones would be a striking addition to your portraits. Go to the Gap and check out the teal, mauve, and black velvet maternity gowns.
- Mommy, Llama Pajamas, Red – Okay, so they’re not actually PJs, but they sure seem comfy! This bright red sundress from H&M seems like the ideal way to make a statement without sacrificing ease of wear. There she is.
- Puffed sleeves, as Anne of Green Gables would say. What else can we say? This adorable pregnancy outfit from Hatch Collection will make you feel as joyful as Anne Shirley.
What To Wear For Your Maternity Photoshoot
Inside Or Outside? Decide On Your Style and Location.
You are free to choose the site of your maternity session, whether it be a studio, your own home, or an outdoor setting such as your favorite beach, a field, or a garden.
Maternity portraits taken inside are warm and personal. The typical site for a couple’s photo shoot is the home, but if you two prefer spending time in the great outdoors, Cayman has a wide variety of scenic spots to select from.
If you’re on a “Babymoon,” or honeymoon, in Grand Cayman, you’ve come to the right place, since the island is home to a wide variety of stunning natural attractions, including some truly spectacular beaches. If you ask, I can give you a recommendation for my favorite place to eat, shop, and explore on the island, depending on where you’re staying.
Consider how these photographs would look in your home as you make your final decision… How about you describe the remainder of your home and what kind of design and colors you’d like to see there? What other purposes, besides wall art, do you have in mind for these images, such as baby shower invites, baby announcements, or Christmas cards (if it is that time of year)?
Who Will Join You In The Shoot? Decide On Your Entourage.
Even though this is a photo shoot for the expectant mother, it’s a terrific opportunity to get some family or relationship shots in as well. Having a picture of your older child cuddling your pregnant belly is a priceless keepsake. I adore capturing the bond between a mother and her daughter on this monumental journey into parenthood, which is why I frequently invite the grandparents-to-be to participate in the photo shoot. Feel free to bring your pets along, too!
What to Wear? Decide On Your Outfit.
The question that gets asked more than any other
Here are 10 simple costume suggestions and pointers to make your pregnancy photo shoot look like a breeze and put the spotlight on your growing baby belly.
- Are They Loose-Fitting Or Form-Fitting? It’s gorgeous to wear a form-fitting maternity outfit that emphasizes your curves. On the other hand, a long, flowy dress is one of my favorites because it is universally flattering and can help you conceal problem areas. What’s more, a photograph captured while the cloth is blowing in the wind can have a lot of energy and beauty to it. Photographically, you can’t go wrong with either choice. It’s totally up to you to decide!
- What Do You Think? Should Expecting Mothers Wear Maternity Clothes? You should wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you’re pregnant, wear whichever dress makes you feel beautiful and confident. One of your customers recently purchased a dress from us, but she had to order a size larger. Pink Blush Maternity, on the other hand, has some lovely maternity attire that is not “too cheesy” if you want to show off your belly without exposing too much skin. Amazon is another great place to purchase dresses at a reasonable price. Mamabump offers a wonderful variety of dresses for rent in the United States with no obligation to buy. Finally, if you’re pregnant and looking for a dress, I have a modest collection of maternity dresses that previous clients have donated to me.
- Go with muted tones and earth tones or solid colors. Look to Grand Cayman’s stunning landscape for color inspiration while putting together your outfit; this will ensure that your clothes complement, rather than clash with, the island’s natural features.
- In order to draw attention away from your figure and toward your belly, muted, plain colors work best. Colors like white, ivory, pink, and light blue/turquoise are particularly flattering on the beach for maternity pictures.
- Do not try to match everything. If you’re having trouble deciding what to wear for your family’s beach photoshoot, I recommend looking at the color palettes I mentioned in my recent blog post, “What to dress for your beach photoshoot,” since they complement the natural beauty of Cayman Islands.
- Buckle Up. Get a lovely and simple narrow belt to cinch in that pregnant belly, especially if you’re wearing a flowy dress. This will look great with both loose and tight-fitting tops and dresses. No Need To Confine Yourself To a Dress. We’ll begin the session with your stunning gown, and then you can change into your swimsuit and Kaftan. Consider finishing your photo shoot with a refreshing dip in the Caribbean Sea. Keep a natural and neutral appearance, but feel free to experiment with other looks if that’s more your speed.
- You’ll need to have two separate outfits ready. It’s a good idea to bring two outfits to your maternity photo shoot. Two dresses, one in a different design or color, or one informal and one more formal, are acceptable options. If you’d prefer to change into a different costume during the session, just let me know in advance so we can make arrangements.
- Your ease of mind is Royalty. Wearing something you feel good in and are at ease in is far more essential than trying to impress anyone else.Pregnancy is an especially uncomfortable time (believe me, I know!) A practical wardrobe (I had a 10-pound baby at 42 weeks) will allow you to relax and enjoy the shoot, which will show in the photos.
- Additional Flair. Spend money and time on your nails, hair, and makeup if you can afford to. Having your hair and makeup done professionally is well worth it for those intimate maternity photos with your partner. My dear friend Sally is an expert at applying hair and makeup that will make your natural beauty shine through. She offers affordable rates, and she’ll come to your hotel or apartment. Browse this link for further information.
- Boudoir it up. Maternity photos taken in the comfort of your own home are a wonderful way to capture the uniqueness of this special time in your life and the bond you share with your partner. You’re most comfortable and authentic when you’re at home. Choose something soft and casual in muted tones or sensual lingerie (for a more personal boudoir shoot), but make sure it goes with the overall aesthetic of the family.
When is the best time to schedule maternity photos?
As a rule of thumb, it’s preferable between 32 and 36 weeks, although every mother is different. It’s recommended to plan your shoot between weeks 32 and 36, when you’ll start to show a noticeable bump, but keep in mind that we can move the date up or down depending on how your baby develops.
What should I wear?
I want you to look and feel amazing in your maternity photos, so it’s important that you wear something that makes you feel confident. You should wear clothes that draw attention to your physique because I adore taking pictures of your stunning shape. Avoid wearing tank tops whenever possible, and if you must, carry a long jacket or cardigan to wear over it. Choose a solid color that helps you feel confident and at ease. We’ll be sending you some mood boards to study in advance of the shoot.
Why invest in professional hair and make-up?
The results of a professional hair and makeup job can be seen in maternity pictures. Hiring someone to do your hair and cosmetics for the session is a great opportunity to treat yourself and relax during this joyful but hectic period in your life. MAC and Ulta can be great alternatives if your budget doesn’t allow for this. Makeup for a date night works wonderfully if you do it yourself.
Do you offer Newborn Sessions or Baby’s First Year plan?
Yes! My newborn photography packages and birth schedule are described in full on this page.
But I am feeling insecure about how I look during my pregnancy and I am not sure I want my picture taken?
This is a common and healthy reaction for expectant mothers, especially those carrying their first child. Having a baby inside of you causes your body to go through a number of changes. To say that I empathize is an understatement. I perceive these transformations as amazing and beautiful through my camera’s eye, and my top objective as a professional photographer is to help you look and feel your best for our session. So, you may feel confident knowing that you’ll appear stunning in all of your pictures.
Where does the session take place?
In this case, you get to decide which setting will serve as your primary source of creativity. Your home, a favorite park, the site of your recent engagement, or some other meaningful location could serve this purpose.
What happens during my session?
Having your maternity photos taken in Denver will be an enjoyable, memorable, and relaxing experience. Before we get started, I’ll go over a few basics, such how to pose and interact with your significant other or kids. If you bring your kids to the session, I’ll make an effort to get to know them beforehand so that they feel at ease talking to me. I will never make them do anything that doesn’t come easily, and I have games for them to play. My hope is that these sessions will be enjoyable for both you and your children. I’ll lead you in various stances and try to get some great candid shots of you two interacting. It’s the little things like these that you do with your loved ones that you’ll remember and treasure for the rest of your lives.
What happens after my session?
We’ll meet up about two to three weeks after your session date for the big reveal and viewing.
What should dad wear in maternity pictures?
Always choose your outfit first, and then have your partner’s or children’s clothes chosen to complement it, if you plan to include them in your pregnancy photos. The best option is to stick with neutral, plain hues. However, if you want everyone in the photo to look like they belong together, a splash of color from an accessory can do the trick.
What should my husband wear for maternity pics?
Any dark bottoms, such as jeans or khakis, are recommended for the men. Shirts should be white and supple (not starched). Fabrics crafted from either cotton or linen will serve you well. Additionally, please provide a standard, crew-neck, white and/or black t-shirt.
What should I wear for a winter maternity photo shoot?
Wear boots and warm socks so you can enjoy the winter scenery. Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd by donning a bold hue, as late autumn and winter tend to have a rather muted color palette. If you feel the cold easily, you may want to invest in a set of hand warmers. As much heat as possible, please!
Don’t worry too much about finding the perfect maternity dress or outfit. The first step is to settle on a general style that you like; then we can assist you in finalizing the particulars. If you’re stuck for ideas, browse our maternity gallery to see what other moms have picked out. If you could spend hours perusing maternity clothes online, our Pinterest page will keep the fun going.
In case you’re pregnant and looking for a simple game plan for your upcoming pregnancy photo shoot, look no further.
You can save a lot of money by choosing our Maternity and Newborn bundle, and we’d love to tell you more about it.
Feel free to contact us so that we may continue this conversation. As for now, I wish you luck in your retail endeavors.